Thursday, February 28, 2013

You put WHAT in that recipe?!

Hello Again!  This particular post is going to be a couple of my favorite recipes that I have recently done, AND they received a thumbs up from my husband, Jordan.  Which can be difficult to do, since he is a total meat and potatoes kind of guy.  And I have to give ALL the credit to an amazing cookbook called 'Vegan Cooking for Carnivores' by Roberto Martin, and my sister, for giving me the cookbook!  He has such a talent of turning comfort foods, or dishes that you're familiar with into a delicious vegan option.  Anyhow I will get to it!

Red Beans and Rice

This recipe is delicious.  I think it's my favorite, and I'm actually sitting here eating a bowl of it while we chat :)  I've served it to non-vegans and they didn't realize there wasn't actual sausage in it.  Other people could tell, but they still enjoyed it.  I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do!


Ingredients: 

2 cups brown or white basmati rice
3 cups water
2 15 oz. cans organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 cup dried kidney beans soaked and cooked
4 cups broth made from Better than Bouillion Vegetable Base
2 Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage or other quality vegan suasage
2 Field Roach Italian Sausage or other quality vegan sausage
1 Tbsp. high-heat oil, such as grapeseed or safflower oil
1 large white medium onion, diced
6 six-inch celery stalks, diced small
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried Thyme
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup scallions

Instructions: 

Rinse the basmati rice thoroughly.  In a pot with a tight-fitting lid, bring the rice and 3 cups water to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and maintain a gently simmer.  Cover the pot and cook the rice until the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat and keep the rice covered until needed.

In a blender, puree three-quarters of the rinsed beans in the 4 cups of broth until smooth.  Add the remaining beans to the pureed mixture but do not blend.

Cut the sausages in quarters lengthwise, then cut them crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces and set aside.

Heat a 4 to 5 quart stew pot over high heat, add the oil, and wait until it shimmers.  Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until translucent, about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.  Add the sausage, chili powder, thyme, bean puree, and bell pepper, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Season with salt and pepper.  Serve the red beans over the basmati rice, garnished with the sliced scallions.

Serves 6

The next recipe I will throw at you stems from the Forks Over Knives documentary.  There is an extension of that documentary called Engine 2: Kitchen Rescue, and it has Rip, the firefighter from the original documentary going into people's homes and showing them how to shop and eat for a plant-based diet.  He actually has a ton of great recipes that are very tasty, but as this entry is getting lengthy I will give you one that is easy, and is a great dessert. 

Banana 'Icecream'


Ingredients: 

4 frozen bananas
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Instructions: 

Freeze 4 bananas for about 2-3 hours.  Take them out of the freezer and in blender combine the bananas with the vanilla and cinnamon, and blend until smooth and creamy.  This recipe is VERY versatile, you could add strawberries, blueberries, honey, nutmeg, pretty much anything that sounds tasty!    

Serves 2

I hope this gives you some idea of what being vegan can look like it.  I'm not just munching on granola, nuts and spinach leaves all day.  And I'm certainly not starving.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my headaches have all but subsided completely, I have not been sick once since I started eating this way, and I actually feel stronger than I ever have.  I found this quote a while ago, and it really stuck with me; 'People eat meat and think they will be as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass.'  Here's to eating healthy and living fully!  Thanks for reading!

SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig