Monday, March 25, 2013

Goals and Dreams.

Have you ever wanted something so badly, you literally think on it for years?  And then, as the years go by, and you might be telling a story, and you say 'yeah, when I was in high school I always thought that I would...' you fill in the blank.  And these stories are so common among us, that we share them with our friends, and then they tell us what their once lofty goal was...and as the reality of time passed over us, we soon start to think of that goal as some kind of distant dream that we can think about when we think what might have been for our lives.  My question to all of us, including myself, is 'what happened?'  What happened that made us think it was no longer a goal but an unattainable dream?  When did we decide that mediocrity was okay for us?  And, when you made that decision, are you happy with it?  Or does it still tug at your mind and heart?

Don't let me fool you.  I am nowhere near my goals and dreams, but I can tell you about one that I've had since high school.  It was about my weight.  As the years went on, I thought, 'when I was in highschool, I could do pull-ups without thinking twice, and I couldn't even do half of one now!'  And as I would look at my body I would think 'what are these dimples on my leg, ugh, this wasn't here before!'  But then I thought, well, everyone else my age seems to have the same things going on, I must be okay.  Mistake number one, AND most common!  Comparing yourself to someone else.  You will ALWAYS find someone to help you justify or rationalize your actions.  While this is very common, it also very unhealthy for us!  YOU know what you're capable of, and what you can achieve, other people don't always know this, unless they are someone particularly close to you, but even then, you know yourself better than anyone.  Stop looking to others to justify your lack of motivation to get out there and grasp onto something that you really want.  It will stop you eventually, and paralyze you from achieving something that you can do.

Also, I've been learning, that just because I reach a goal or dream, doesn't mean I should stop there.  Sure, I enjoy the moment, but then I think 'what's next'.  This is so important for our growth as individuals.  Have you ever talked to someone who just kind of says the same things over and over?  Because they live the same life that you have known them to live for the past 10 plus years?  Or they are still living in a moment in time that brought them great joy and they are still trying to ride that out?  It can be boring, and difficult to talk to them, because you think, 'wow, they just haven't changed.'  But then you have another friend that when you talk to them, they tell you about what they have been involved in, what books they are reading, or, they've taken up a new class of some kind.  It's interesting talking to them, because they are constantly developing themselves.   Our journey in life is never completed until we no longer have breath.  We don't stop learning when we graduate high school, college, or even obtain doctorates.  All of life is learning, and if we try to stunt that, we stop our growth as a person.

Then, when we do finally muster up the courage to attain a goal, we have those people that knock us down, or attempt to knock us down.  Have you had them in your life?  I know I have.  They are people that might say they are a friend, or they say they are concerned for us.  No, they're not.  They are concerned that you are going to reach something that they can't, and because of that, they are either unhappy, jealous, or just mean.  Don't listen to these people, and don't allow them to have power over you.  It's okay if it's discouraging to hear what they have to say, but don't let it stop you.  Instead, do your best to put their discouraging words out of your mind, and surround yourself with people that are cheering you on, encouraging you, and believe that you can achieve your goal.  Always remember that small people knock us down, but the truly great people, believe that we can be great as well.

I realize this was a bit of a heavier post, but it's something that has been at the forefront of my mind this entire week, and I wanted to share it with all of you.  And please know, while I believe everything that I wrote for you, it doesn't mean that I don't fall into these traps myself...that's partly why I wrote about them.  Going through the experiences of not just being healthy, but having my husband join the military, giving up some of my own goals and dreams during his training, and slowly learning how to pick them back up again, is what caused me to think on this, and write about it.  I hope that this was a challenge for you.  I know it was for me to write it.  Write out those goals and dreams you have for your life, then, for each one, list ways that you can actually attain them.  I will say publicly for accountability's sake, that one of my dreams is to write a book.  It's a lofty goal, but I have a list of little goals that will help me attain it, and eventually lead me to it.  You can do this too, it's not hard, when you take it one step at a time, and when you have healthy and loving people around you encouraging you to reach for it.  
SHARE:

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! Thank you for the reminder & for the challenge!!! I will be at your book signing..,. first in line!

    ReplyDelete

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig