Sunday, March 17, 2013

Graduation from Insanity...now what?

For those who do not follow me on Facebook, on Sunday I became a graduate of the Insanity program.  With every graduation of some kind, I think most people do same thing.  You take a few moments, be proud of your accomplishment, and look forward to the next goal.  So, for me to say that now I've lost a few pounds, some inches, and gained a sense of accomplishment I will go back to eating Taco Bell five times a week would be pretty ridiculous.  I can tell you with great certainty that I don't want to go anywhere near that road again.  It would only satisfy me for a few moments, and it was always followed by guilt, and then what was worse, it never helped what was ailing me.  So, why would I go back to something as awful as that?

What's next for me?  I have a few ideas.  The first, is sharpening up my diet.  I am vegan, absolutely, but the common myth is that since it's 'vegan' it's healthy.  Let me tell you, there are plenty of vegan foods out there that aren't health.  Very technically speaking 'vegan' means, that the product you're eating does not have meat or dairy in it.  Last time I checked, popcorn meets this criteria, so do Twizzlers, and Gummy Bears.  How do I know this?  Because I made sure to find out, and I could justify having them.  Come to find out, a lot of bread is vegan, plenty of pastas are, and rice is too.  So, even though I completed Insanity, even though I am vegan...I still have a few things that I know I could fix, and will get me feeling even better than I already do.

It's called the Slow-Carb Diet.  What is this?  Basically, you don't eat any carbs, and no dairy.  Only lean proteins, veggies, and very little fruit.  I had all but cut sweets out of my diet, but I found that late night, I would make a giant bowl of rice, dump salsa on it, and justified it because it was 'vegan'.  I think it was habits like this that held me back.   I have found that the worst way to look at a 'diet' is focusing on what you can't have.  So, tonight when I went to the grocery store, I focused on everything I could have. Mind you, I stayed in one part of the grocery store (the produce section), but I basically could take whatever I could find.  I bought tomatoes, lettuce, zucchini, broccoli, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, fresh garlic, red peppers, yellow peppers, and green as well.  Black beans, garbanzo, navy, and pinto.  This diet is going to be tough, but I'll make it even more difficult if I think about all the things I can't have.  Oh, and let's not forget the gum when I more than likely get a sugar or carb craving.

The advantage to this diet, is that whenever I get hungry, I can eat any number of the things I listed above, and I don't have to worry about gaining a pound.  Because basically, these aren't the foods that make us gain weight, these are the foods that help us burn it.  So, don't worry, I won't go hungry...but I will have to control those late night cravings that are bound to come!

My workouts these next few weeks are going to be Hip Hop Abs...should be interesting since rhythm isn't my strong suit, but hey, I'm going to do my best.  Then after that, I will be onto P90X, I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about that!

In the meantime, I'll be hosting a number of Challenges, I have two that are coming up.  On March 25th, I will be starting a P90X challenge group on Facebook, and on April 1, I have a 30 day Shakeology Challenge Group that will be starting up.  If you want more information on either of these, please comment on my blog, and I would love to give you additional details.  Thanks for reading!
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig