Saturday, March 16, 2013

Smoothie Heaven!

Hello Friends!

So, after my cleanse you will be shocked and amazed that I did NOT go on a crazed binge eating extravaganza....the thought did cross my mind however!  But, I really wanted to avoid losing all that progress I had made.  I DID indulge in a cheese pizza...and a vegan cupcake...the pizza was not vegan, so yes, I realize that getting the vegan cupcake didn't matter to much, but I guess it was the principal of the thing for me.  If it was made available to me, then I should probably choose that over the other.  By the way, if you have a Whole Foods near you, BY ALL MEANS, check out their pastries.  I was surprised to find a number of vegan options, and so far, they are all winners in my book.  And, next on the list will be how to make a good vegan pizza...I have a few ideas up my sleeve :)  Anyhow, onto smoothies!

Okay, so, I LOVE smoothies!  I used to love the ones that you throw a cup of sugar in...but I've since realized that the natural sweetness in the fruit can be just as satisfying, and I always go back to how my body feels after I drink it.  And I can tell you, I feel SO much better after a good fruit smoothie, than I do of one I loaded up with sugar or Yoplait (because Yoplait yogurt can be pretty sketchy, please LOOK at the ingredients...my rule of thumb lately is the LESS ingredients, the better.  Also, if I can't pronounce it, it may not be a good idea).  So, here are a few of my favorites that I have been drinking, please use these recipes to your hearts content, they are DELICIOUS, and a great way to start your day!

(By the way, I must give credit where credit is due, these ALL came from my Vitamix recipe book!)

Banana Split Power Smoothie
1 Cup Almond Milk
1 Banana
1 Cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 1/2 Cups frozen pineapple chunks

*you may not need ice since the fruit is already frozen, but if you decide to use fresh fruit, be sure you include a few ice cubes!  Also, because this smoothie is heavy on protein you can drink it as a meal replacement, or as a post-workout drink for muscle repair.

Strawberry and Greens Smoothe (My FAVORITE!)
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Almond Milk
2 Cups fresh spinach
1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
2 bananas

*I alter this one a lot because I use it so often, but this is the original recipe. I've added tangerines to it, a little less spinach, blueberries...whatever, it always tastes good!

Morning Glory Smoothie
1/4 orange peeled
10 oz. pomegranate juice
3/4 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
1/2 banana
1/2 tsp. of shelled hemp seeds

*you can also add 1 cup plain yogurt to this, if you are not going the vegan route, but if you do leave it out remember that you will also be avoiding a lot of unnecessary fat, and it tastes perfectly good without it!

There are so many other good ones that I have found, but I will leave you with these for now.  One thing that I would like to try to do is have more veggie based smoothies...this has proved difficult for me, because of the taste factor, but I won't give up hope just yet, I'll keep looking around.  Ideally though, in the morning, fruit is a great way to start the day, it gives you energy, good carbs, and starts your metabolism off right!  Enjoy!






SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig