Monday, November 4, 2013

Are You Thriving or Surviving?

My husband and I have a pretty big feat that's coming our way.  It's called deployment.  Although I have been through training trips of various lengths, nights when I was unsure of when he would be home, and lots of other uncertainty, a deployment is one thing that I haven't been through yet.  When I thought about it, I figured it was the worst thing ever...that it was something so far away, I didn't really have to think about it.  Which was true.  But now it's here.  Very real.  And very soon.  As some of you may know from my previous blog posts, the last time my husband and I were separated for quite a length of time (11 months), I didn't handle it well.  In fact, I would definitely say there were periods of that time that I spent in depression. I am determined that will not happen.  For starters, I atleast know a little bit of what I'm getting into.  Back then, we were totally fresh and new to everything that was going on.  Now, I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, but I've had some experiences since then, and I understand what to do and what not to do while he's gone.  About two weeks ago, while I was getting dinner ready, I had this thought pop into my head, 'I need to thrive and not just survive this deployment.'  It was certainly something that I hadn't thought of before when he had been gone.  Usually, I try to stay busy, and hope the time passes quickly...but this was something new.  Don't just plan things because he's gone...but ACCOMPLISH goals while he's gone.

So, here are some of my goals while he's gone:

1. World traveling!  I have wanted to travel and see new places but always stopped myself.  I decided I didn't need to do that, and I'm heading to Thailand to visit some family members there...I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am!

2. I haven't signed up just yet, but I plan on being in my first ever tri-athlon!  

3. I am a BeachBody coach, and I plan on taking this a step further, and making some changes for myself so that I can become a better coach to my challengers...I have a few ideas of what this will look like, but I'll save that for later :)

There are a few more, but my point in sharing this, is that often, we feel like we've just got to hang on for the ride when things come our way that we don't really like.  But I tend to disagree.  There are definitely times that we need to get our bearings...but then I think we've got to make the most of it, power through, and work on some things that maybe we couldn't have.  I do not want my life to start and stop with my husband's schedule, there are times when that has to be the case, but I think that as a military wife, I do that enough.  Let's make the most of the time that we are given and not just survive....I challenge you to thrive.
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig