Monday, November 11, 2013

What Soothes Your Soul?

Today, I had to make a meal for a couple who just had their second baby boy!  And as I was standing in my kitchen, chopping some apples for a crisp, I thought 'I love this'.  Cooking and baking literally soothes my soul.  As I stand in my kitchen, and I'm looking at the recipe book, prepping whatever it is I'm about to make, a calm comes over me, and I become focused on what I'm doing, but it also allows me to let my mind drift a little, and I start thinking about people I love, ideas that I have, and there are times that I even pray while I cook.

I've never been very good at sitting still, and so, in a way, this is my 'quiet time', it energizes me.  I have heard people refer to gardening in this same way, as well as running.  I haven't done much gardening, but running can often have the same effect for me.  It's a time to let it all go, but also think about it all too.  It's comforting.

As the holiday season approaches, I encourage you to find an activity like this. If you don't have it already, I encourage you to find it.  We are all busy enough as it is, but when the holidays roll around, it's very difficult to have much time to yourself.  Since cooking is my thing, this won't be too difficult for me to find time for that with Thanksgiving and Christmas!  Make sure that you make time to find that 'thing' that relaxes you, gives a chance to reflect, and gives you the energy to get going on the next task.


SHARE:

1 comment:

  1. How this is an amazing post. I also love to cook and run! I hope to be able to get back to both of these tasks now that Jonathan is here and I'm not carrying an extra 25 lbs lol. Thank you for this post its very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig