Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Top Ten Reasons to Not Workout

It's no secret that P90X3 has changed me from the INSIDE out.  I can see results for sure, but I am FEELING them too.  I feel healthier, less cravings, no sluggishness in the middle of the day, and overall, I accomplish more in my day.  It blows my mind what eating clean and working out on a regular basis can do for someone.

What blows my mind even MORE are the reasons people choose NOT to work out.  So, let me give you a list of excuses that I have used myself (or, I've heard other people use them), and I'll give you the rebuttal...because you didn't REALLY think this list was the ten benefits of not exercising, did you?

1. 'I don't have time'.  Okay, we seriously have to get over this one.  P90X3 is 30 minutes....that's one episode of Teen Mom.  Or whatever your guilty pleasure show is.  And don't be all shocked, you know you sit there and watch them, I do too!  The difference is, I replace ONE of them, and have Tony Horton on the screen.  You do have time.  Trust me.

2. 'I can't afford it.'  Here's the deal.  I'm not a millionaire.  I live in a two bedroom town home that we rent.  I have a budget just like everyone else.  So, let me tell you what I did to nix this excuse.  I stopped going to Starbucks once a week.  I stopped going through ANY drive-thru at all.  That $5 here, and $6 there really, REALLY adds up.  I know that P90X3 is a program that doesn't cost $10.  But, (and perhaps this is true for you), when I put some SKIN in the game (a.k.a. money), it MAKES me workout.  Because I'm cheap, and I want to get my money's worth out of this thing!  So, slow up on the drive-thrus, the little snacks that you think are 'just' $5, and I'll bet you'll find that the money will turn up if you start setting it aside.

3. 'I'm not in good enough shape.'  Oh you're not in good shape, and you want to start working out?  Perfect.  That's just how everyone else starts too.  In P90X3 there is always a person who is modifying the workout moves, and I'll be perfectly honest and say that I look at that person quite often.  We all need to start somewhere.  Also, there is this magical button on your DVD player called 'pause'.  If things are getting intense, just pause it for a minute, catch your breath, then push play.  This isn't the Olympics.  No one is asking you to be perfect.  I'm certainly not.  You're looking at the girl who stumbles around like crazy during pretty much any balance pose.  You don't have to be perfect.  You just have to start.

4. 'I don't like healthy food'.  Yeah, I hear you on this one.  Healthy food gets a BAD rep.  But you know what I've discovered?  It got a bad rep, because I gave it one.  I truly didn't know what GOOD food tasted like, because I'd been eating processed junk.  The first time I had pomegranate seeds, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  They were so sweet!  So flavorful!  How come I didn't know about these?  Because I'd lived in my processed food bubble for far too long.  Get to a health food store, or peruse the organic section of your store, you'll find some pretty amazing stuff.  I'll admit not ALL of tastes great, but now, it's kind of a challenge to.  The P90X3 meal plan asks you to eat clean, and it gives you a list of literally HUNDREDS of foods to choose from and make your meals with.  This isn't your rice cake and water diet.  You have so much to choose from.

5. 'I don't want to be hungry'.  Nobody likes to starve, and I tend to be of that opinion as well.  Starving yourself isn't a way of life, it's not healthy, and whatever you lost doing that to yourself, you will gain back the moment you binge on a bag of gummy bears.  In the P90X3 meal plan you choose the plan, there are three to choose from.  Then, you eat....all. day. long.  And you are FULL.  I couldn't believe it.  I had been on so many terrible diets that I thought 'if I'm full all the time, there's no way I'm losing weight.'  Please see my 30 day progress pictures at the top of the blog to disprove that silly theory I had. ;)

6. 'I don't like home workouts'.  Most people don't like home workouts because they have to do them alone.  I don't like doing things by myself either.  So I would go to a gym, but then, I didn't like driving to the gym, changing, showering, meandering around not knowing what I wanted to do....it just wasn't for me either.  When you do P90X3, or any BeachBody workout, you have the opportunity to be connected to a community of people in challenge groups.  These groups are FUN, and I now lead them, which makes them really fun!  You will meet people who share your goals, are looking for motivation, and rocking their workouts....all from home, and we all make a decision to check up on eachother once a day on Facebook.  It's pretty awesome.

7. 'I don't want to start, and then have to stop.'  Well, this one sounds ridiculous when I type it out...but then again, aren't most excuses that way?  This is an excuse I came up with all by myself.  I thought I had to have this 'magical' period of time when nothing in my life came up and I could just dive in and do everything perfect.  Us perfectionists have got some things right, but man, part of my problem in being a perfectionist is that I won't START anything unless I know it will be perfect.  Here's the thing.  It can't be.  And it won't be.  I had to let that go.  And you will too if you have this issue.  I have taken this workout on a cruise with me, and on a family vacation.  It was hard to continue to stay committed, but I did it because I said I would.  And it was really important to me that I stuck with it.

8. 'I have no motivation'.  Well, this one is probably the easiest excuse to have a rebuttal for.  Go to YouTube, and type in 'motivational workout videos'.  That will give you the temporary motivation because those things can really pump you up!  But here's one that may be a little more effective.  Think about your family, think about a time in your life that you really felt GOOD.  Do you want that back?  Do you want to live a long, healthy life so you can stick around to see Grandkids, and retire to Florida?  Do you want to be able to play with your kids and not be out of breath after 5 minutes?  Of course, there are no guarantees in this crazy life, but healthy eating and exercise are not a bad way to get that plan started.  Look at the things that are MOST important to you right NOW in your life, and I guarantee that you can connect that to a healthy diet and exercise every time.

9. 'I don't have accountability'.  We kind of covered this, but I'll say it again.  Challenge Groups.  They were the missing link in my workouts.  I had had running buddies and workout buddies, and whether it was me or them, the workout suddenly turned into a lunch or coffee date.  I'm not faulting them one bit, I either gave in, or made the suggestion, but either way, it didn't work out.  With Challenge Groups you have a coach (that would be me!), who is going to keep you committed....then, you have other challengers who are going to be there cheering you on as well.  If that isn't accountability, I don't know what is!

10.  'I just don't think I can do this.'  This is the saddest excuse to me.  Because this is the one I said to myself almost three years ago now.  All the other excuses were gone, and I sat there, and just admitted to myself that I really wasn't ready.  It's a sad moment, and not one that I want anyone else to endure if I can help it.  We all have low points, we all have commitments, we all have a LIFE.  But I PROMISE that working out can make it better.  It's PROVEN that it helps us think more clearly, that we feel better, that we have hope!  It's crazy what it does.  But we have to start.  The good thing is, there are people that want to help, myself being one of them.  You can do this.  Trust me.  You just have to have even an ounce of you that wants to, and it can happen.  Let's get this done.  Let's get those progress pictures.  And most importantly, let's feel better.
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig