Saturday, May 17, 2014

Can a Cheat Meal be Clean?

In what has become a neverending journey of learning what 'clean eating' means, how I can still be a human while I do it, and finding some kind of balance, I recently started asking the question, can my cheat meals be clean?

Recently, I've tried pretty hard to live by the 80/20 rule.  For those who don't know, that rule means 80% clean eating, 20% of whatever I want.  That's what it means to me anyhow.  I am finding more and more that food opinions vary FAR and WIDE.

However, in an effort to be more conscious of my cheat meals, I started thinking 'rather than have that sleeve of Oreos, could I have something that will satisfy my sweet tooth, and maybe NOT have so many crazy chemicals in it?'

I believe that the answer is 'yes'.

One of many ways I have found this to be true, is in this sweet little recipe that came from the amazing cookbook 'Vegan Cooking for Carnivores' by Roberto Martin.

Because seriously, who doesn't need a pancake every now and then?  With REAL Maple Syrup?!  So, so good!  These are hands down, THE BEST pancakes I've ever eaten.  I think it's the banana that's the secret sauce in this ;)

Have you found a clean 'cheat meal'?  Share about it in the comments below, I'm always looking for new ones, and I'd love to see yours!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk
  • 1 cup Quick Oats
  • 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
  • Salt
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 2 Bananas, chopped
  • Nonstick Spray

Directions

  1. Blend the milk and oatmeal.
  2. Add the Baking Soda, Salt, Flour, and Bananas. Blend until smooth
  3. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Heat a pan or griddle.
  4. Spray the cooking surface, then measure about 1/4 cup batter per pancake.
  5. Cook about five minutes per side, flipping when air bubbles form.
  6. Serve with maple syrup.

SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig