Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Top 5 'Meal for One' Ideas

You might be a bit confused.  'I thought she was married?!'  'Trouble in paradise?!'

Nope, we're still doing awesome ;)

However, we have this tiny little issue that gets in the way from time to time....the military.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE that my husband is in a job that he is passionate about.  It has made him a better husband, a better man.  However, with it, comes being alone...like a lot.  And although chips and salsa can occasionally be an acceptable meal for one, I try hard not to make that my 'go to'.

I also hate having leftovers for a week.  And I really despise frozen meals.  They just make me sad..and usually queasy.

So, here are my top 5 meals that I make for myself.  They are nothing fancy, and usually involve me being able to 'mix and match' a lot with them in terms of the ingredients, because I am often a pretty terrible planner when it comes to meals.  But these are healthy, clean, will fill you up, and, most importantly, aren't chips and salsa ;)

1. Stir Fry: Throw some chicken in a pan, a little quinoa, along with whatever veggies you have, and you can make a pretty amazing single serving dish for  yourself!  I have tried mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, onion, garlic, zucchini....whatever you have on hand in your veggie drawer can more than likely go in this dish!

2. Omelette: Don't underestimate how full a 2 egg omelette can make you.  Especially when you stuff it with all kinds of goodies.  Spinach, Tomato and Feta Cheese come to mind.  But, again, use whatever you have on hand!

3. Shakeology: I mean....how could I not mention it?!  This drink is my saving grace when my husband is away.  I am not very good at remembering when to eat when he's away, so when I realize it's 3:00 and all I had was my fruit and granola in the morning, I grab a shake.  Sometimes, I'll even have one as a snack at night, if I've got a craving for chocolate.

4. Smoothies: NOT to be mistaken with Shakeology, but, I have been known to whip up some pretty mean smoothies all on my own.  The one pictured below is almond milk, strawberries, banana, and spinach.  It's like blending up a salad in my opinion.

5. Chili: Okay, this is the ONE thing that I can have as leftovers.  I'm convinced that chili gets better the longer it sits in your fridge.  Not to mention it can be completely clean, and fill you up.  That's my kinda meal.  For an awesome recipe, go to my link for white chicken chili, it's the BEST!


I think that's it!  So, if you find yourself having some dinners to yourself, don't be pouty about it, and don't let that be an excuse to order a pizza.  Be creative.  Be Healthy.  Make it simple.  Easy. Peasy.



SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig