Friday, January 23, 2015

Penny Pinching Popcorn: How I Made My Favorite Snack Cheaper and Healthier

I will admit.  Sometimes. healthy food DOES cost more.  The brown eggs are more expensive than the white.  The organic grapes are pricier than the ones that came from Argentina, or wherever.  In my opinion, you often get what you pay for.

But not always ;)

I used to love those little pre-packages of popcorn.  You know.  The ones you put in the microwave, and that sweet smell of salt and butter fills the house.  But you know what?  You get about 3 in a package, and they are approximately $3 for the box.  So, $1 a bag.  Not bad, I guess.  But did you look at the ingredients?  The stuff that makes the 'butter', are names that I can hardly pronounce, let alone recognize.

When I buy my ingredients for popcorn now, it's MUCH cheaper.  Yes, coconut oil is a little pricey, but I'm willing to bet you'll use it more than three times.  And that bag of popcorn?  It only cost 2.99, and I'll get atleast 10 servings from it.

Even if you choose to go the healthy route and buy the bags of popcorn at the story that truly do show they only use oil, salt and the kernels, those usually run $4, and I'll be honest, they only last one night around my house ;)

I won't leave you in suspense any longer!  Oh, but before I start, I need to tell you.  You can do ANYTHING with this recipe.  This just happens to be my favorite way to make it.  If you're in a salty mood, add salt, garlic, and butter, if you want to get fancy, add some other spices, get creative with it!

What You'll Need:
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
1-2 tbsp. of melted coconut oil (varies depending on taste)
1-2 tsp of cinnamon (adjust to taste)

Directions:
1. I have an airpopper. so that makes things easier.  However, if you are doing this on your stove top, heat a large soup pot and add the coconut oil.  Use high heat and wait until the oil shimmers.
2. Reduce to medium heat, and slowly add the kernels.  You will need to sit by the stove and keep a close eye so the kernels do not burn.  But it should only take about 5 minutes.
3. Once you stop hearing the kernels popping closely together (about 5-10 seconds apart), then remove from heat, and pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
4. Add your toppings!  Extra coconut oil and cinnamon for me.  But as I said before, feel free to get creative with this!

Enjoy!


SHARE:

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome Nicole! I'd love to know what awesome additions you would make to it, I have a feeling you'd come up with some good ones ;)

    ReplyDelete

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig