Monday, January 12, 2015

Vegetti Recipe: Zucchini 'Pasta' with Homemade Tomato Sauce

As a stocking stuffer, I received the one and only 'Vegetti'.  My mom's response when I opened it was 'I don't know what that thing is, but I hope you like it!'  Oh yes.  Yes I do.

You see, I am a pasta fanatic.  When I was little, the only place I wanted to travel to was Italy, and the only reason I wanted to go was because I'd heard that they have some pretty great spaghetti.

And I'm not bias to any one particular noodle, I pretty much like any of them.  Of course, there's the traditional spaghetti noodle, but I've been known to venture beyond that to penne, angel hair, farfalle, and if I'm feeling really crazy, fusilli.

But see, the problem is that once I start, I truly can't stop.  Until my belly is pretty bloated with all that pasta goodness.  It's a problem.

I tried 'spaghetti squash', but I mean, who are we kidding?  That's no noodle.  And I suppose, neither is zucchini, but, if I'm going to replace a noodle with a vegetable, I prefer zucchini the best.  So, here's what I do:

Once I've used my vegetti:

*I used two zucchini, however, I recommend atleast 4 if you are feeding more than 2 people.  Because it's a vegetable, you will need to make more as it's not going to be as filling as regular pasta.

1. Heat a skillet with 1 tsp. of olive oil in it
2. Add the 'pasta' and sprinkle a little salt and pepper
3. Turn the 'pasta' in the pan for about 5 minutes or until it appears more flexible and noodle like

Now, I cannot take ANY credit for this amazingly simple, and super yummy tomato sauce.  I got this recipe from the amazing Angela Liddon.  Here is the link to her recipe, but I'll write it out here as well: Chunky Tomato Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion or 1 small yellow onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 large tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes (about 6), diced
1/4 cup basil leaves, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Add the oil, onion and garlic into a medium sized pot, with heat at medium.  Add the salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Stir in the diced tomatoes and increase the heat to high-medium to bring it to a low boil.  When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, allowing the excess water to cook off.
3. You can use a food processor to mince the sun dried tomatoes as she suggests, however, I simply minced mine with a knife.  Then add it to the tomato sauce mixture.
4. Serve over your zucchini pasta, and enjoy!

*I also grated some fresh parmesan cheese over mine as a finishing touch.  I recommend it, it was pretty tasty!



SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig