Thursday, April 2, 2015

5 Tips That Can Reduce Bloating

I think that bloating has got to be one of the most uncomfortable things EVER.  It's that feeling of, 'I know that I am not this big, but gosh, I FEEL like I am!'

For me, it often happens when I am eating poorly, or, when I'm on my period, and lately, it's been due to the hormones that I'm taking.  No matter the reason, it's never fun.  It often leaves us feeling lethargic and just kind of gross.

I've decided that I'm going to combat it as best as I can.  I may not be able to control how these hormones effect me, but I CAN control what I put in my mouth, and last time I checked, that determines quite often how I am feeling.  So, here are my five tips that have been helping me out this past week to make me feel not quite so 'large and in charge' ;)

1. Reducing My Salt: I mean, duh.  But seriously, even if you're not someone who adds salt, it is IN a lot of foods that we eat!  This is a pretty easy fix by doing two important things: Don't eat out as much (you can't control how much salt they are using in the kitchen!), and, eat clean!  I know there's a lot of that 'eat clean' business going around, but, basically what it means in my mind, is that you eat foods whole as much as possible, instead of processed.  This means, lots of fruits and veggies, and meat that you prepare.  There is no room for salt in any of that unless YOU add it.  So, it makes it easy in that regard to really watch your salt intake.

2. Eat Yogurt!: I love that yogurt has some really cool benefits that even people who a little sensitive to dairy (like myself), can eat.  A lot of times we forget that yogurt has live and active cultures in it that get your digestion really moving, and, I'll spare you the details, but, the more you can have leaving your system, the better you are typically going to feel in regards to your bloating.  I just picked up Kefir (I love the pomegranate!), and, it's in my green smoothie posted below.  Don't worry, I'll share the recipe ;)

3. Drink Water: A lot of times, because we feel bloated, water seems to be the last thing that we want to drink.  But again, just like the yogurt, water keeps our system moving, helps everything to function properly, and helps it clean out more quickly the things that are of no use to our body.  I personally, have been taking a tip that I learned from my husband, who, I'm sure learned it from somewhere else, and whatever my weight is, I drink half of that in ounces.  So, the formula looks like this:

your weight/2= # of ounces you drink

That may sound like a lot, but if you make a solid effort to actually drink all that, you are going to feel amazing!  And, you will notice, that you won't feel quite so puffy.

4. Eat your Greens!: Did you know that celery, spinach, kale, lettuce, or pretty much any other leafy green helps to reduce fluids?  It's again, related to our digestion, and basically, the more greens you eat, particularly when they are cooked, the more your body can hang onto the good fluids, and throw away the others.

5. Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit!: Haha, Remember this immature little song when we were little?  Well, it's true.  Because the more beans you eat, the more you toot.  And the more you toot.  The better you feel.  So if you're bloated, eat them at every meal ;)

In case you didn't see the pattern.  Basically you want to eat food that is going to help your body digest things more efficiently, and get RID of all the gross stuff.  So, it really has to do with how often you are heading to the bathroom.  Not the prettiest of subjects, but hey, if you're as bloated as I am, you'll eat beans, yogurt, celery, and anything else that's suggested to help relieve some of that pressure on your belly.

Oh, and, here's my smoothie that I drank today: 

1/2 cup Kefir (pomegranate flavor)
1 cup spinach
1/2 banana
2-4 icecubes

blend, and enjoy!


SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig