Monday, April 27, 2015

Push Yourself.

This weekend, I had the HUGE honor of sharing at Super Saturday.  It wasn't a giant deal, it was a quick 10 minute training on different personality types.  But oh man, was I nervous.

First of all, I had just come off of a week that we had received devastating news.  After weeks of going through our second IVF cycle, I found out that our embryo transfer hadn't worked.  We were devastated, and, the idea of getting up and chatting in front of 100 or so people just didn't sound all that appealing.

But then I remembered that you have to go beyond your comfort zone if you want to be really great.

If I would have cancelled, I'm sure people would have said 'I understand', 'you SHOULD take a break'.  But you know what?  That's just not my style.

When I make a commitment, I stick to it.

And you know what?  I'm so glad that I did!  Preparing for that training as the rest of my week wore on, was a huge bright spot, because I could actually think about something else besides this huge loss that we'd just experienced.

Sure, I had taken breaks in a lot of other ways, like, buying a box of Lucky Charms and eating it in two days (don't ask!), but, backing out of a commitment that I had made to other people?  Not an option.

And, it seemed that afterwards, the training went over really well!  People were able to learn about their business from it, and, hopefully, help their teams too.  To me, that's a huge success.

My point in saying all of this, is to tell you, if you are going through a hard time, sometimes the BEST thing that we can do is to absolutely still grieve the loss, but, also, find something positive to focus on, something that is going to help others, because in helping others, we help US.  It's kind of a cool thing.  If I had sat and wallowed all week long, with nothing else to look forward to or work toward, I feel as though that would have made it a whole lot worse.  There is a fine balance of grieving, but also, picking up a little, day by day, and still moving forward in our lives.

Do not allow your circumstances to steal the joy of goals that you have, and people that you can help.  You will actually help yourself more by pushing yourself beyond your grief, and taking small steps forward each day.

I'm not saying you need to get up and prepare a speech, but, whatever you have planned, still plan on doing those things.  You'll be surprised at how good you feel when you give yourself a little push.  <3

SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig