Wednesday, August 5, 2015

You are Greater than any Obstacle: Explaining the IVF 'Frozen' Cycle

I have been rather silent about IVF since our second failed cycle, and, part of it was, there wasn't too much to share after that cycle was over.  We had decided to wait a few months before we tried again, we needed to breathe, and, I needed to feel like a person again as opposed to a hormonal science experiment.  Up until IVF, I went to the doctor for annual check ups and the occasional cold.  Being poked and prodded isn't my thing.  I'm willing to do it for this, but, it's uncomfortable, and, when you know there isn't a guarantee, you just need a break when it fails.

So, here we are again, embarking on the third cycle!  I'll be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I think that 'cautiously optimistic' is a good way to phrase it.  We definitely hope and pray for the best, but, we also know from experience that disappointment could be on the horizon as well.  However, we do have a few things in our favor, which, if you can bear with me for a few moments, I will explain how this cycle is slightly different from the others.

If you've been following along, you know that in both of our previous cycles, we were doing what's called 'fresh' cycles.  Which means that I was taking daily injections to produce and then retrieve eggs.  The first time, I didn't respond quickly enough to the medication and had to cancel.  The second time, I did respond, went through the egg retrieval surgery, and was even able to have an embryo transfer.  However, for reasons unknown the embryo did not take, and, I did not end up pregnant.

Because I had already gone through the egg retrieval, we didn't have just one embryo that was made, we actually had a few more than that.  And so, because we had extra embryos, I will now be going through what's called the 'Frozen' cycle.  This means that I don't have to go through another egg retrieval process or surgery.  Which also means, this time is slightly less intense.  I don't have appointments every other day, in fact, I just have four throughout the entire time.  It is slightly less expensive, and  I do still have to take injections daily, but, in general things aren't quite as stressful.

With a frozen cycle they only keep the embryos that they think will survive being thawed out, which, the clinic that I am going to has a 90% success rate in embryo thawing, so, we feel good about still going through this process, and, actually making it to the embryo transfer.  Everything is still quite chance-y, but, atleast we know at this point that we have embryos.

In general, IVF can be a controversial topic depending on who you speak to, but, the frozen cycle is probably a bit more controversial than others because of the whole issue of frozen embryos...what are they exactly?  Are they when life begins?  Are they children?  Gosh, I can't tell you how TOUGH those questions truly are when you have to answer them for yourself, because it's what you are LIVING.  These questions are particularly tough to answer in Christian circles.  I can tell you that there is no black and white answer about frozen embryos in the bible (I tried desperately to find anything!), because I too, wanted a clear answer.  However, I think that my clear answer came after my second failed attempt.  And it's something that only that experience could have taught me.  The only thing that I can say for sure that the Bible speaks on is life.  God wants life in this world.  He talks about how beautiful it is, how proud He is of it, and how much He wants it to increase.  So, with that in mind, we continue on with no doubts and no fears that what we are doing is not only not controversial, but, it is the only way that we can have children and bring a beautiful gift into this world.  I don't believe that this is a black and white issue, and, it's definitely something that can be opinion based.  I have learned through this experience that this issue is sensitive, and the hurt that is caused from being unable to have children runs DEEP in more people than we probably think.  So, if you know someone who is going through this experience, save your opinions, and listen to them.  That will be the most valuable thing you can ever do.

At this point, I don't think that I will share my full opinion on frozen embryos on this blog, however, if this is something that you would like to speak to me about individually, please, feel free to contact me.  It's a tough topic.  But I think if we can all approach it with understanding and love, the answer isn't too far from there.

Thank you all for your love and support!

~Jod and Candice


SHARE:

2 comments:

  1. Very well written...actually it's excellent. You are doing exactly the right thing. It doesn't matter what others may think, it's your life and your baby. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it! <3

      Delete

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig