Saturday, October 15, 2016

Ultimate Reset Day 6: Expanding that Palate



Just in case I left you in suspense from Day 5 (I know...it's a total nail biter reading this blog!), I did NOT have the chocolate last night....although tonight the craving is pizza....but not to worry, I'll just sit here and complain about it to you.  There's no way I'm giving in at this point!

I'm on day 6 of the Ultimate Reset and I've gotta say, I've cooked a few things that I've never cooked before, and I've definitely tasted things that I've never tried.  A few years ago I took out meat and dairy from my diet and I for a short time and remember it being a time when I really expanded what I knew about food because I had to shop differently, cook differently, and eat differently.  It was really fun!

The Ultimate Reset is reminding me of that time, and I've really been enjoying it.

Granted...there have been a few...mishaps...like my first take on a Nori Roll, pictured below:



But, you learn as you go, and if you never try, then you'll never get it right.  So, onward and upward!

Here are a few things that I've had this week that I legit had never had before...you will see my rating beside each one!

Tempeh:  You would think that I would have come across this in my vegan days, but I never tried it then!  What's the difference between Tempeh and Tofu?  A few things.  One, is that Tempeh uses the WHOLE soybean, and the soybeans are then pressed into a patty form.  While tofu comes from soymilk..it's kind of what cottage cheese is to dairy milk.  Tempeh has much higher levels of protein content.  All in all, I didn't think that Tempeh was too bad...much like tofu, it takes on the taste of whatever you're cooking it in, and the Ultimate Reset has you marinate it so it's pretty tasty.  Not sure that it will be something I eat regularly, but I don't mind it for the Reset.

Farina:  When I saw this on my shopping list, I had to look it up to see what it was.  Basically it's a type of grain that is often eaten as a hot cereal...like oatmeal.  I had it with apple, walnuts, and a little maple syrup and really enjoyed it!  And, now that it's in my cupboard, I'm sure I'll be having it again at some point.

Mirin: This was another item I had to look up to find out what it was.  This is a Japanese cooking wine, and I had to use it in a cucumber salad, I again thought it was pretty tasty!

Nori Rolls: Okay, I've had sushi rolls before...I LOVE sushi.  But I had never actually made them, and I can promise you that I've never had seaweed in my house!  Instead of fish, however, I used my Tempeh, and it was pretty tasty.  I thought they were really fun to make, even though I know I could use a little more practice. 

This upcoming week is I'm sure going to bring another menu of fun things to try and make!  All in all, I have thought that the recipes are pretty fabulous, and I know that there will be some that I'll be working into my weekly menu planning!

Thanks for reading, friends! 



SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Candi, Spice, And All Things Nice. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig